For Practicing Surgeons
AWS provides its members a unique community of mentoring, education, and networking for personal and professional growth – all by women surgeons, for women surgeons. AWS also promotes leadership opportunities and celebrates the achievements of women surgeons worldwide.
- Regular ($250): Regular membership is open to all surgeons and includes an annual subscription to the American Journal of Surgery. Regular members may vote and hold office.
- New Surgeon ($175): Membership is available at a reduced cost to new surgeons within the first two years following residency or fellowship training. New Surgeon members may vote and hold office and includes an annual subscription to the American Journal of Surgery.
- Lifetime ($5,000): Lifetime membership is open to regular members only, with a one-time membership fee charge. All benefits of a regular member apply.
AWS provides residents access to their peers, women surgeons and potential mentors who can guide them through the personal and professional transitions of their careers. Topics addressed through AWS by both residents and practicing surgeons include wellness during residency and pregnancy, targeting and tracking professional goals and career advancement.
- Resident Member ($50): Resident membership is open to surgical interns, residents or fellows in training. Residents may vote and hold office.
AWS sets the stage for a successful career supplying tools and information to faculty, counselors, and students. Through the AWS Student Chapters, students find a strong community for sharing experiences, learning best practices and developing leadership skills.
Student ($25): Student membership is open to all students in medical school with a career interest in surgery. Student members may not vote or hold executive office but may be members of committees.
AWS helps organizations – universities and hospitals – support their leadership training, achieve retention goals and advance their women surgeons. Each membership includes an unlimited number of AWS memberships for the residents enrolled in your residency program, advertising on the website for faculty positions, and all other AWS member benefits. For more information visit the AWS Institutional Membership section.
Special Membership Categories
- Emeritus (no cost):Open to any regular AWS member who has maintained a membership for at least three years and who is fully retired. Emeritus members may not vote or hold office. Applications must be accompanied with a letter of request for Emeritus status. Emeritus membership is granted by the AWS Council. Your request will be reviewed by the Council and you will be notified of approval. 2018MemberApp.
- Missionary (no cost): Open to surgeons working as missionaries and is granted by the AWS Council. Missionary members may not vote or hold office. Applications must be accompanied with a letter of request for Missionary status. Requests will be reviewed by the Council and you will be notified of approval. 2018MemberApp.
- Associate ($200): Open to any individual who does not qualify for Regular membership but is supportive of the mission of the Association. Associate members may not vote or hold office. An Associate membership application must be accompanied by a letter of request that explains how the applicant will support the AWS Mission. 2018MemberApp.
Choose from the following membership categories to join AWS: