How to Start an Institutional Membership
AWS Institutional Membership is an easy way to introduce and involve female trainees in the AWS. Benefits include full access for each trainee to the website, including resources for mentoring, professional development and job opportunities. A copy of the Pocket Mentor is also available for each resident, and they will be subscribed to eConnections.
Registering your institution is easy! Follow these steps:
- Find out if your institution already has a membership on the AWS Institutional Member listing.
- Ask your chair to fund a membership, and identify yourself or another person as the faculty sponsor. For programs with 1-20 residents, the cost is $500; for 21 to 40 residents it is $750; and for 41 or more residents it is $1,250.
- Obtain a list of female residents and fellows from your residency coordinators. Don’t forget to include sub-specialty trainees such as plastic surgery, urology, neurosurgery and otolaryngology residents. Also, don’t forget to include fellows!
- If you choose, email the residents to ask their permission to share their email address. One easy way to do this is to ask each resident simply to hit “reply” to your email with a yes or no. Alternately, consider attending a didactic session or conference and simply asking the residents permission.
- Complete the registration form.
- Forward the registration form to your finance/accounting department along with an addressed envelope. They should be able to write the check and send in the forms.
- Faculty sponsors do not have to be women. Any person willing to be contacted by the AWS to keep the renewal current may serve as the faculty sponsor.
- Keep your membership current by contacting incoming residents and fellows in July of each year to make them aware of the membership and sign them up.
- Once your membership roster is complete, consider sending an email to your trainees, outlining the benefits of the organization, suggesting they attend the annual conference, and directing them to the website.