Announcing the AWS Coaching Project
Friday, May 25, 2018
Burnout among surgical trainees is a challenging problem facing hospitals and programs nationwide, and studies show that burnout disproportionately affects women. With the help of Kerri Palamara, MD, from the Massachusetts General Hospital, AWS is launching a new coaching project designed to support women trainees and reduce burnout.
AWS is looking for volunteers to serve as coaches as well as residents looking to build a meaningful relationship with a coach.
Learn More and Sign Up
Coaches and residents will be enrolled on a first-come, first-served basis. You must be logged into the AWS website to complete the applications linked below. If you need assistance signing in, contact us at email@example.com or call 312.224.2575 (weekdays 9:00am - 5:00pm central time).
Information for Coaches
- We are recruiting 30 practicing surgeons who are current AWS members to train as Professional Development coaches in 2018.
- All coaches are required to attend a three-hour training session during the AWS Annual Conference in Boston on October 21, 2018. This training session focuses on leadership development, positive psychology, and feedback skills.
- All coaches will be assigned two residents.
- Coaches are responsible for meeting remotely with their coachees every three months for three total meetings.
Apply to be a coach (must be logged in)
The deadline for coaches to apply is July 15.
Information for Residents
- All applicants must be current members of AWS.
- Coachees will meet remotely with their coach to discuss experiences and set goals every three months, for a total of three meetings. Each meeting will last 40 to 60 minutes.
- Coachees must complete a short "homework assignment" prior to each meeting.
- There will be two surveys coachees must complete, one at the beginning of the program, and one at the conclusion.
- Prior residents who have participated in similar programs have shown reduced burnout, improved well-being, better coping skills, and improved workplace relationships.
Complete the resident application (must be logged in)
The deadline for residents to apply is August 15.