Apply for the ASA Surgical Leaders Fellowship Grant
Monday, May 20, 2019
Have you always wondered what it was like to be a chair or have a major leadership position at a hospital or medical school? Are you holding back applying for these high-level leadership positions because you are not 100% sure what it entails or that you are well prepared for it?
We are excited to announce an amazing new opportunity for leadership development that has been developed in partnership with the American Surgical Association. AWS and ASA are committed to developing the next generation of women leaders in American surgery and have partnered in sponsoring one AWS member to participate in the American Surgical Association Surgical Leaders Fellowship Grant. This program, which is a collaborative effort by ASA, AWS, the Society of Asian Academic Surgeons, the Society of Black Academic Surgeons, and the Society of University Surgeons, should help increase diversity at the highest levels of surgical leadership.
This opportunity is aimed at associate and full professors with goals of further developing their careers. Each ASA Future Leader Fellowship will consist of two one-week visits to two academic institutions during the fellowship year. Each visit will be with a different academic host and surgical leader. Host leaders will be volunteer ASA members who are current chairs of a surgery department, center directors, deans, CEOs, or equivalent. The academic leaders will be contacted by the fellow and mutually agreed upon by the invited ASA host member. The program specifics of each visit will be determined by the host faculty and the Fellow.
It is anticipated that participating Fellows will be able to identify gaps in their professional experience, knowledge, and skills that if bridged, would better prepare them for serving as a surgical leader in the role of department chair, center director, CEO or dean.
An AWS member will be selected every other year starting in 2020. Candidates will be evaluated and selected by the Nominating Committee of AWS and a slate of three names will be submitted to ASA for final selection. The fellowship is in the amount of $5,000 and will be awarded to the fellow's home institution upon receipt and confirmation of the itinerary. The home institution and/or fellow will be responsible for any additional expenses incurred during the fellowship. Upon completion of the Fellowship year, the report of the fellow will be due by March 1 of the subsequent year. For example if the Fellowship is completed in 2020, then the report will be due March 1, 2021.
Requirements to apply:
- Rank of Associate Professor for a minimum of 3 years or Professor
- Board certification
- Membership in AWS
- ASA membership (optional)
- Educational coursework in leadership either from the home institution or a from a national organization such as the ACS, SUS, AAS, SBAS, AAMC, etc., or current enrollment in/completion of an MBA program
Nominations must include:
- A letter of reference from the Department Chair attesting to the suitability of the surgeon for this type of leadership program is required. The Chair must guarantee the availability of the candidate to travel for a period of two weeks within the award year and agree to cover any expenses incurred beyond the Grant.
- A personal statement outlining the involvement of the member in AWS and why this leadership fellowship would be important for their career.
Nominations should be submitted to email@example.com as a combined PDF by July 1, 2019. Files should be named as follows: [Last name] [First name] ASA Surgical Leader Grant (e.g. Smith Barbara ASA Surgical Leader Grant.pdf).