Call for Nominations: Executive Committee, ACS Advisory Council and AJS Editor
Wednesday, June 19, 2019
The AWS Nominating Committee is seeking self-nominations to serve as officers on the Executive Committee beginning in October 2019. The officer positions to be elected this fall include: President-Elect, Vice President, and Secretary. Nominations are also open for a General Surgery Liaison to the ACS Advisory Council and an Editor position for the annual AWS edition of the American Journal of Surgery.
Applications for all positions should be submitted to email@example.com by August 1.
The office of the President-Elect and Vice President are one-year terms, while the position of Secretary is a two-year term.
Traditionally, new members to the Executive Council will serve in the role of either Secretary or Treasurer prior to advancement into the other offices. Per the bylaws, any regular surgeon member in good standing serving or having served as a chair of a committee is eligible for nomination and election as an officer of AWS. Nominees are encouraged to review the bylaws and description of responsibilities prior to application.
Each candidate applying for a position will be evaluated with the following criteria taken into consideration:
- Prior service to the organization - must have served on the Council as a chair of an AWS committee
- Attendance at council meetings and on conference calls
- Attendance on committee calls
- Contribution to discussions at AWS Council meetings
- Leadership qualities
- Relevant experience and skills outside AWS that may be beneficial to the organization
ACS Advisory Council for General Surgery Liaison
- Advise the Board of Regents on policy matters and policy formulations
- Discuss matters which the Council feels appropriate to be brought to the attention of the Board of Regents and/or other organizations
- Serve as a liaison in the communication of information to and from surgical organizations to the Board of Regents
- Nominate individuals from the specialty to serve on College committee and other bodies
- Aid in the development of programs for the Clinical Congress
Appointments are for a term of three years (open to a second term renewal) and run in conjunction with the ACS Annual Meeting. ACS provides a travel stipend to attend the Spring and Annual Meetings.
- Must be a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
- Recommended practice in General Surgery (not a requirement) and an active member of AWS
- Involved on AWS’s governing body as an AWS Council member once appointed
- Consideration should be given to diversity of the committee
- Ability to commit to serving a three-year term on the committee
- Minimum of three years of academic practice
- Minimum of 10 publications
- Service on publications committee
- Experience as journal reviewer
- Commitment to AWS
- Experience in manuscript preparation
- Original research
- Manuscript review for scientific journals
- Editorial experience preferred but not essential
Please note, members in training will not be considered for this position.
Nomination Process for All Positions
Each candidate is asked to submit:
- A curriculum vitae
- A personal photograph
- A candidate statement, to include:
- Outline of past service to AWS
- A description of the qualifications she will bring to the position
- An attestation of commitment to completion of the requirements of the position
- The name of a person not serving on the Nominating Committee who can serve as a reference for the nominee's leadership skills
- Their vision for the future of AWS
All applications are due to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 1. Candidates who do not submit the requested information by the nomination deadline will not be eligible for consideration.