2019 Annual Report and Strategic Plan
Monday, September 23, 2019
It has been my pleasure to lead this great organization during the past year. I am humbled every day by the passion and energy of all our members and volunteers that I see propel forward the mission and vision of AWS. The vision for my presidential year was simple: to work on bolstering the reach of the AWS through critical partnerships with chairs of surgery, other societies, and industry leaders so that we can better fulfill our mission of inspiring and enabling women surgeons to realize their goals.
In the report, you'll see updates from each committee, showing new and exciting results of new partnerships. New programming this year includes a Signature Speaker Series to help ensure women surgeons are at the podium every time, a Diversity Visiting Professor Program in conjunction with the Society of Black Academic Surgeons, and a Joint Surgical Leaders Fellowship Program with the American Surgical Association.
Additionally, in March of this year, AWS committee chairs, executive committee members, and liaisons got together in Chicago for a strategic planning session. The results of this session are included below as well as in the Annual Report. With great energy and input from everyone, a new vision statement was crafted for AWS: "Equity, diversity and inclusion for all surgeons." We also moved forward with fine tuning our goals for the next five years.
Immediately after our strategic planning session, we sponsored diversity within our own society through placement of three new liaisons on our council from SBAS, the Society of Asian Academic Surgeons, and the newly formed Latino Surgical Society. With your help and enthusiasm, we will work within this strategic framework to strengthen this great organization for the next generation of women surgeons. We are in a watershed moment where each of us is important in the palpable culture change that is happening within American Surgery. Let's work together and cherish this momentum.
I'm looking forward to seeing all of you in San Francisco for Annual Conference. Come by and say hi!
2018-2019 AWS President
AWS's New Strategic Plan
GOAL 1: EQUITY - AWS will work to eliminate equity barriers for all surgeons.
- Strategy 1: AWS fosters awareness and promotes improvement of parity issues in surgery.
Strategy 2: AWS uses collaborative relationships to forward the mission of AWS.
Strategy 3: AWS identifies and pursues leadership and diversity opportunities for women surgeons.
GOAL 2: PROFESSIONAL AND PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT - AWS promotes healthy, thriving surgeons at all stages and in all practice models.
- Strategy 1: AWS creates and enhances resources and programs for surgeons at all career stages and in all practice models.
- Strategy 2: AWS provides a community that engages and connects surgeons at all career stages and in all practice models, here and abroad.
- Strategy 3: AWS cultivates personal development and wellness.
GOAL 3: ORGANIZATIONAL EFFECTIVENESS - AWS provides an innovative business model that ensures an inclusive, vibrant, and collaborative organization.
- Strategy 1: AWS enhances its role as a valued partner with other organizations in the surgical community.
- Strategy 2: AWS creates an innovative and growth-driven business model.
- Strategy 3: AWS establishes methods for better communication, collaboration, and accountability within, between, and outside its committees.
- Strategy 4: AWS works to increase the value of membership.