2020-2021 Call for Nominations: AWS Executive Committee, AJS Junior Editor, and WiSC Liaison
Monday, June 15, 2020
The AWS Nominating Committee is seeking self-nominations to serve as officers on the Executive Committee beginning in October 2020. The officer positions to be elected this fall include: President-Elect, Vice President, and Treasurer.
Council Nominations are also open for the AJS Junior Editor, and Women in Surgery Committee (WiSC) Liaison.
Applications for all positions should be submitted to email@example.com by July 16.
Nominations Process for All Positions
- Each candidate is asked to submit:
- A curriculum vitae
- A personal photograph
- A candidate statement, to include:
- Outline of past service to AWS
- A description of the qualifications they will bring to the position
- An attestation of commitment to completion of the requirements of the position
- The name of a person not serving on the Nominating Committee who can serve as a reference for the nominee's leadership skills
- Their vision for the future of AWS
The office of the President-Elect and Vice President are one-year terms, while the position of Treasurer is a two-year term. Traditionally, new members to the Executive Council will serve in the role of either Secretary or Treasurer prior to advancement into the other offices. Must be a regular surgeon member in good standing and have served as a chair of a committee.
Each candidate applying for a position will be evaluated with the following criteria taken into consideration:
- Prior service to the organization - must have served on the Council as a chair of an AWS committee – you already list this under the “Must be a regular surgeon” line
- Attendance at council meetings and on conference calls
- Attendance on committee calls
- Contribution to discussions at AWS Council meetings
- Leadership qualities
AJS Junior Editor
- Ability to commit to serving a three-year term on the committee
- Minimum of three years of academic practice
- Minimum of 10 publications
- Experience as journal reviewer
- Commitment to AWS
- Experience in manuscript preparation
- Original research
- Manuscript review for scientific journals
- Editorial experience preferred but not essential
Please note, members in training will not be considered for this position.
Women in Surgery Committee (WiSC) Liason
- Represent the WiSC to AWS, and the AWS members to WiSC.
- Serve a three-year term, eligible for one reappointment to a three-year term, with approval by the AWS Executive Committee and appointed by the ACS Board of Regents.
- Serve as communicator of key issues and ideas between the AWS and WiSC members.
- Develop programs to capitalize on the joint strengths of both AWS and WiSC.
- Promote AWS outreach and member retention.
- Promote collaboration and foster sharing of ideas in order to serve the members of both organizations.
- Submit regular reports on WiSC activities to AWS and vice versa