The call for nominations for this award is now closed.
The mission of the Patricia Numann Medical Student Award is to encourage and support an outstanding female medical student who is pursuing a career in surgery.
- The recipient of the AWSF Patricia Numann Medical Student Award will be a medical student who, in the opinion of the AWSF Awards Committee, has demonstrated leadership potential or made significant contributions to surgery.
- Nominees must be in their final year of medical school at the time of nomination, and have demonstrated a commitment to pursuing a career in surgery.
- The recipient of this Award is given:
- Two complimentary dinner tickets to the AWSF Awards Dinner on Monday, October 28, 2019, in San Francisco.
- An Award Certificate recognizing the winner’s accomplishments, presented at the Awards Dinner.
- Reimbursement for travel and lodging up to $1,000 (Travel and lodging expenses may be used to attend both the AWS events and the ACS Clinical Congress events).
- A student may nominate herself or can be encouraged by a surgeon to apply for this award.
- The student should complete, secure, and compile all the necessary information.
- Complete the application form below.
- All documents should be uploaded in a pdf format.
- Submit a letter of nomination from a surgeon at the student’s medical school with whom the student has had professional contact and who can comment on the student’s contributions to the field of surgery and future potential as a surgeon and leader. Include the surgeon’s name, position, and institution in the letter of recommendation.
- Submit a personal statement of up to 200 words that:
- Describes how the nominee became interested in the field of surgery;
- Includes the most important experiences and/or mentors who have shaped the nominee's career path;
- Describes a situation in which the nominee assumed a leadership role (assigned or impromptu). Include how they were most effective and in what way they could have improved their effectiveness as a leader in this situation.
- Submit a current Curriculum Vitae (CV) including educational history, employment history, academic/professional awards, honors, leadership positions, publications and presentations.
Deadline: May 15, 2019