Find the Membership that's right for you
For Practicing Surgeons | For Residents | For Students | Institutional Membership | Special Membership Categories
All applicants for membership shall complete the online application and submit it with any required dues. Membership in this organization is continuous with payment of all dues and assessments. Membership will be on an anniversary basis and is renewed annually.
For Practicing Surgeons
AWS provides its members a unique community of mentoring, education, and networking for personal and professional growth. AWS also promotes leadership opportunities and celebrates the achievements of women surgeons worldwide.
Choose from the following membership categories:
- Regular ($250) - Regular membership is open to all surgeons and includes an annual subscription to the American Journal of Surgery. Regular members may vote and hold office.
- New Surgeon ($175): Membership is available at a reduced cost to new surgeons within the first two years following residency or fellowship training. New Surgeon members may vote and hold office.
- Lifetime ($5,000): Lifetime membership is open to regular members only, with a one-time membership fee charge.
For Residents & Fellows
AWS provides residents, interns and fellows with access to their peers and potential mentors who can guide them through the personal and professional transitions of their careers. Topics addressed through AWS by both residents and practicing surgeons include wellness during residency and pregnancy, targeting and tracking professional goals and career advancement.
- Resident Member ($50): Resident membership is open to surgical interns, residents or fellows in training. Resident members may vote and hold office.
AWS sets the stage for a successful career supplying tools and information to faculty, counselors, and students. Through the AWS Student Chapters, students find a strong community for sharing experiences, learning best practices and developing leadership skills.
- Student ($25): Student membership is open to all students in medical school with a career interest in surgery. Student members may vote or hold a position on the AWS Council. Student members may not be an Executive Officer.
AWS helps organizations – universities and hospitals – support their leadership training, achieve retention goals and advance their women surgeons. Each membership includes a limited number of AWS memberships for the residents enrolled in your residency program, advertising on the website for faculty positions, and all other AWS member benefits. For more information visit the AWS Institutional Membership section.
Special Membership Categories
AWS offers discounted annual dues to surgeons and trainees who live in/maintain a primary address in a country that is defined by worldbank.org as low or lower-middle income economy. To learn more about pricing and how international members can receive discounted AWS membership dues, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Associate membership ($200) is open to any individual who does not qualify for Regular membership but is supportive of the mission of the Association. Associate members may not vote or hold office. An Associate membership application must be accompanied by a letter of request that explains how the applicant will support the AWS Mission.
Emeritus membership (no cost) is open to any regular AWS member who has maintained a membership for at least three years and who is fully retired. Emeritus members may not vote or hold office. Applications must be accompanied with a letter of request for Emeritus status. To apply, email email@example.com.