Deadline: March 9, 2018. Applications are now closed. Thank you for your submissions.
Only Visiting Professor nominations are being solicited at this time, the call for host sites will come at a later date.
Kim Ephgrave. MD (1956-2012) was a beloved teacher, compassionate clinician, prolific scholar, and innovative administrator during her career. A general surgeon at the University of Iowa College of Medicine, she served in a number of administrative roles, including clerkship director and associate residency director for the department, and associate dean for student affairs and curriculum for the Carver College of Medicine. Dr. Ephgrave was devoted to high quality care for patients from all backgrounds. Countless former students and residents cited the centrality of her example of integrity, compassion, and intelligence in their own development as physicians.
The Kim Ephgrave Visiting Professor Program provides opportunities for institutions to host distinguished women surgeons as speakers. Preference will be given to those institutions in which women role models represent a significant minority of the department. The program is named in honor of Kim Ephgrave who served as AWS President from 2000 – 2001 and is funded by the generosity of our donors. Donate to the Kim Ephgrave Visiting Professor Program.
AWS Visiting Professors have an opportunity to share professional and personal experiences with department chairs, faculty, residents and students through grand rounds, walk rounds, lectures and research presentations and other arranged opportunities.
The host site application process will open soon. The host site provides the platform for the experience by hosting the AWS Visiting Professor at a breakfast, luncheon, and/or dinner meetings and arranging for clinical and educational experiences.
Learn more about Kim Ephgrave, MD Past Visiting Professors and Hosting Institutions
Visiting Professor (VP) Responsibilities:
- VP Applicants must be full-practicing surgeon members of the Association of Women Surgeons in good standing and in an active clinical practice in the United States or Canada.
- A VP must be able to coordinate with the institution to determine the appropriate time for the visit. Visits usually include lectures, discussion groups, patient evaluation, patient rounds and possibly operative procedures and take place over two days.
- A VP must be willing to interact with local women surgical faculty, residents and medical students.
- A VP must be able to share information about AWS and the AWS Foundation at appropriate opportunities.
- A VP must work with the host institution to make travel and accommodation reservations, as well as all other details of arrangements for the visit.
- A VP must submit an expense form with appropriate back-up receipts to the AWS Foundation within 30 days after the visit.
- A VP must submit a report summarizing the visit within 30 days of the visit that includes information about the experience and thoughts on the process and the overall program.
Host Site Responsibilities:
- The Host Department of Surgery will sponsor the program and coordinate a schedule for the two-day visit.
- The Host site will provide opportunities for interaction between the Visiting professor and local women surgical faculty, residents, and students. (Options include: reception, breakfast, luncheon, grand rounds and surgery.)
- The Host site work with the VP to make travel and accommodation reservations as well as other details of arrangements for the visit.
- The Host site will arrange for appropriate privileges and policy compliance if clinical rounds or operative procedures involving the Visiting Professor are planned.
- The Host site will submit a final report summarizing its experience with this program within 30 days of hosting the AWS Visiting Professor.
- The Host site will provide the VP a $500 honorarium.
- Selection of the Visiting Professor and the host site institution. The Visiting Professor will be selected within six weeks of the application deadline.
- Provide reimbursement for travel (one round-trip coach airfare with a minimum of a 21-day advance purchase), accommodations up to $ 2,500.00.
Applications are now closed.